Wednesday, September 9, 2015

First Thoughts on Buddhism


In The Foundations of Buddhism, Gethin describes a commonly held outsider belief of Buddhism: “On the basis of its analysis of the problem of suffering, some have concluded that Buddhism must be judged a bleak, pessimistic and world-denying philosophy” (62). From a literary standpoint (I’m considering being an English major after all,) I admire Gethin’s placement of this idea, considering that the few pages before this passage left me with the same feeling. Mostly this feeling arose after reading how “suffering” or duhkha could apply to situation such as coming home tired and stressed. Perhaps because of the nature of society today with the idea of remaining “busy” held on high pedestal or because I am a college student, I think that being tired of stressed is a normal part of life. I don’t like being stressed per se, but I do enjoy being tired in some circumstance because I feel accomplished. So for these reasons I was a bit turned off during that point of the reading. However, I do find other aspects of Buddhism quite appealing and applicable to everyday life regardless of one’s religious status, such as the striving to let go of action based on guilt, jealousy or other strong emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment