Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Random Thoughts

For our Unit 1 Essay, we must answer two questions, what is karma and what is samsara, without getting caught in the minute details and distinctions between the two concepts in Hinduism versus Buddhism. Attempting to define “karma and rebirth [samsara is the continuing cycle of rebirth] has been called a “’lively but vain attempt’” by scholars (Tull, 309).  As a Hindu, I have spent considerable free time pondering the two notions, although admittedly, I did not know that the term samsara existed to represent the process of multiple rebirths despite being aware of the process itself. My thoughts on the subject have always been “erratic” or never clearly expressed, so I mainly enjoy this class because it personally provides some clarity about my own religion while also exposing me to a lesser-known religion. For now, I can attempt to relay my thoughts, hopefully helping me gain insight on what I can write for my upcoming paper. I present some personal ideas and questions that I have that do not fit into the confines of this particular paper.

Karma is the “’doctrine’ or ‘law’ that ties actions to results and creates a determinant link between an individual’s status in this life and his or her fate in future lives” (Tull, 309).  In simple words, the idea of karma proposes that one’s actions, resulting from one’s choices, determines the type of life (good or bad, pleasant or miserable, as a human or some other being) he or she will be reborn into in the next round of samsara. I have never been able to consider karma, however, without also considering the concepts of “dharma” and “predetermination.” Dharma is one’s “path,” and very simply put, one can achieve “good” karma by following or acting along with one’s dharma, and vice versa regarding “bad” karma. In the Bhagavad Gita, a very highly regarded portion of the Mahabharata for Hindus, Lord Krishna lectures Arjun on the vital importance of acting according to one’s dharma. With this understanding of dharma, one then has an active choice in choosing his or her actions.

On the other hand, most Hindus believe in the concept of predestination, that every aspect of one’s life has been predetermined by God. Personally, I strongly believe in predestination and the idea that everything happens for a reason. Yet if everything in my life has already been planned out, do I have active choice in relation to my dharma, and if I do not, how does this development affect karma and samsara? I bounce back and forth between, one, thinking that I possess no active choice in what occurs in my life or, two, that the main events in my life are preset and that I control the path of how I get there. Many, Hindus and non-Hindus alike, shut down predetermination, calling it merely a “coping mechanism.” I acknowledge that this concept can indeed used as a sort of excuse, like if I did not study for a test, made a bad grade, and attributed the entire scenario to my predestiny. But if I tried my hardest, studied, and still made a bad grade, is thinking that a reason, a purpose for this episode will eventually be made evident still considered just a way to cope?


Apologies for the tangent/rambling/straying away from the topic of the paper! :o

No comments:

Post a Comment